Workshop #2: Engaging HBCUs and MSIs in Education Using Large Scale Datasets
Thursday, August 8, 2013 | 8:00 AM-5:00 PM
Organized by the Ecological Society of America’s Education and Diversity Office
Suggested Readings & Related Resources:
The following resources are suggested readings prior to the workshop
For all sessions:
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) (2009). Vision and Change: A Call to Action. http://visionandchange.org/files/2011/03/VC-Brochure-V6-3.pdf (.pdf).
Interactive Conceptual Framework on Education Using Continental-Scale Data
- Conceptual Framework: http://esa.org/fed/resources/conceptual-framework/
- Overview of the Pedagogy of Large-Scale Data & Data Archives
Drivers of Avian Local Species Richness: Continental-Scale Gradients, Regional Landscape, or Local Land Cover?
- Tom A. Langen. 26 April 2012, posting date. Drivers of Avian Local Species Richness: Continental-Scale Gradients, Regional Landscape, or Local Land Cover?Teaching Issues and Experiments in Ecology, Vol. 8: Experiment #2 [online]. http://tiee.esa.org/vol/v8/experiments/langen/abstract.html
Using Science Pipes in the Classroom
- Science Pipes: http://sciencepipes.org/beta/home
The Invasive Grass-Fire Cycle in the U.S. Great Basin
- Jennifer K. Balch, Marnie K. Carroll, and Bethany A. Bradley. May 2012, posting date. The Invasive Grass-Fire Cycle in the U.S. Great Basin Teaching Issues and Experiments in Ecology, Vol. 8: Practice #2 [online]. http://tiee.esa.org/vol/v8/issues/data_sets/balch/abstract.html.
- D’Antonio, C.M., and P.M. Vitousek, 1992, Biological invasions by exotic grasses, the grass-fire cycle, and global change. Annual review of Ecology and Systematics 23:63-87.
- Whisenant, 1990, Changing fire frequencies on Idaho’s Snake River plains; ecological and management implications. Symposium on cheatgrass invasion, shrub die-off, and other aspects of shrub biology and management, Intermountain Research Station, Ogden, UT, Las Vegas, NV.
Getting data rich activities into your classroom: Learning outcomes, instructional strategies, and assessment
- Gray, J. (2007). Jim Gray on eScience: A transformed scientific method. The Fourth Paradigm. Mountain View CA. (.pdf)
- Arthur Steen, L. (1999). Numeracy: The new literacy for data drenched society. Educational Leadership, 57(2), 8–13. (website)
- Manduca, C. (2002). Using Data in Undergraduate Science Classrooms. Final Report on an interdisciplinary workshop held at, 129(April), 2865. (website)
- Woodin, T., Carter, V. C., & Fletcher, L. (2010). From the National Science Foundation Vision and Change in Biology Undergraduate Education , A Call for Action — Initial Responses. Education, 9(2), 71–73. doi:10.1187/cbe.10 (http://www.lifescied.org)
- Trautmann, N. M., & McLinn, C. M. (2011). Using Online Data for Student Investigations in Biology and Ecology. (A. D. Olofsson & J. O. Lindberg, Eds.). Information Science Pub.
- Brewer, C. a., & Gross, L. J. (2003). Training ecologists to think with uncertainty in mind. Ecology, 84(6), 1412–1414.