The Society currently publishes the following journals:
- Bulletin: Founded in 1917, this quarterly is ESA’s oldest journal. It publishes announcements of meetings, programs, awards, articles, and items of current interest to members. | History and List of Editors
- Ecosystem Health and Sustainability: A joint effort of the ESA and the Ecological Society of China in 2015, this publication features articles on advances in macroecology and sustainability science, on how changes in human activities affect ecosystem conditions, and on systems approaches for applying ecological science in decision-making to promote sustainable development.
- Ecology: Published since 1920, this monthly publication reports on basic elements of ecological research, including research and synthesis papers on all aspects of ecology. | History and List of Editors
- Ecological Applications: This journal began in 1991 in order to highlight applications of ecological science to environmental problems. Eight times a year, it publishes papers that develop scientific principles to support environmental decision-making.
- Ecological Archives: publishes appendices, supplements, and data papers related to articles that appear in other ESA journals.
- Ecological Monographs: Initiated in 1931 to accommodate longer articles, EM ranked 5th out of 136 journals in impact factor for the “Ecology” category in 2012.
- Ecosphere: Published monthly, online-only, this is ESA’s open-access alternative, launched in 2010.
- Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, issued 10 times per year since 2003, contains peer-reviewed, synthetic review articles, short, high-impact research communications of broad interdisciplinary appeal and features of interest. Its impact factor (2012) was 6 out of 136 in the “Ecology” category, ranking right behind Ecological Monographs, and 3rd out of 209 journals in the “Environmental Science” category.
For a list of journal editors through the years, please see our archived Editor pages.
To explore contents of these journals, visit ESA journals at Wiley.