The SEEDS program offers Alumni Travel Awards to former SEEDS students who are continuing in an ecology career and wish to attend the ESA Annual Meeting and serve as near peers in the support network for SEEDS undergraduate students. The 2014 meeting will be held in Sacramento, California, themed: From Oceans to Mountains: it’s All Ecology!
- participation in a SEEDS event in the past (field trip, ESA Annual Meeting, or fellowship)
- current enrollment in a graduate program in an institution within the United Sates
- Submitted a presentation for the 2014 ESA Annual Meeting – Apply HERE!
Participants are selected based academic promise, potential for serving as a mentor or teacher, and demonstrated pursuit of a career in ecology and commitment to increasing opportunities for underrepresented students. Preference will be given to students who:
- demonstrate the pursuit of ecology (i.e. attending graduate school)
- plan to present research at the meeting
- exhibit promise in contributing to the ecology program at their home institution or in their community
- show promise as an educator or mentor.
Students that submit abstracts to present have a better chance of being selected for the award.
New in 2014 – Ecology Education Career Track Awards!
At the 2013 SEEDS Leadership Meeting, SEEDS students strongly recommended that SEEDS provide program support for students interested in KI12 ecology education as a career option. We agree! To this end, SEEDS will offer five Ecology Education Career Track Awards to the 99th ESA annual meeting for the first time. SEEDS has partnered with Project Learning Tree (PLT) to provide certification in their preK-8 curriculum guide. You will be provided with the curriculum guide and professional development during the Annual Meeting. You will then be a certified PLT educator.
- Students should have demonstrated interest and involvement in preK-8 education, for instance, outreach to local schools or after school programs or nature centers etc.
- Award recipients must attend the full day PLT workshop at the ESA Annual Meeting which will be held on Sunday, August 10.
- Award recipients are expected to contribute to the strengthening of the Ecology Education Careers dimension of the SEEDS program by offering suggestions and ideas
- In the application process – check the Ecology Education Career Track Award box.
Application will remain open until February 24, 2014.