SEEDS Undergraduate Student Travel Awards:
To support and promote the participation of underrepresented students in the field of ecology, ESA offers Undergraduate Student Travel Awards to participate in the ESA Annual Meeting every year.
The 2016 ESA Annual Meeting – Novel Ecosystems in the Anthropocene will be held in Fort Lauderdale, Florida from August 7-12, 2016.
What does the Travel Award include?
SEEDS is proud to offer fully funded and mentored experiences for undergraduates during the ESA Annual Meeting. Each selected participant receives:
- Meeting Registration
- 1 year ESA student membership
- A meeting mentor – students select their own ESA member!
- SEEDS Alumni Mentor groups – past SEEDS students with graduate degrees that help undergraduates navigate the meeting.
- Round-trip airfare from a major US airport.
- Hotel accommodations during the meeting. *Double occupancy*
- A $100 meal stipend
- SEEDS Student Orientation
- SEEDS Welcome Dinner
- and tickets for special events
Who is eligible to apply?
- Undergraduate students from underrepresented minority groups – as well as other students – with a demonstrated commitment to the program’s mission
- Undergraduate students enrolled in an institution within the United Sates
- students who graduated in December or May in the same academic year of the meeting for which they’re applying
Participants are selected based on academic promise, interest in exploring a career in ecology, potential for serving as a mentor and teacher, and demonstrated commitment to increasing opportunities for underrepresented students.
Preference will be given to students who:
- demonstrate an interest in pursuing a career in ecology
- submit to present at the meeting (poster, oral or special presentations)
- exhibit promise in contributing to the ecology program at their home institution or in their community
- show promise as an educator or mentor
The meeting experience is enhanced for students by pairing them with a meeting mentor – who is an ESA member graduate student or ecologist – and providing an alumni network to help them gain the most from the meeting experience.
- Contact Information
- Academic Information
- Meeting Information – poster or oral presentation information that you submitted to ESA.
- Letter of Recommendation (to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org) with STUDENT NAME in email title.
- Resume (PDF preferred – add STUDENT NAME to the document title)
- An Essay (500 word max.)
Applications for the 2016 AM have closed. Please visit this website in early Spring for updates for 2017.