To support and promote the participation of underrepresented students in the field of ecology, ESA offers Undergraduate Student Travel Awards to participate in the ESA Annual Meeting. The 2014 meeting will be held in Sacramento, California themed: From Oceans to Mountains!
Who is eligible to apply?
- Undergraduate students from underrepresented minority groups – as well as other students – with a demonstrated commitment to the program’s mission
- Undergraduate students enrolled in an institution within the United Sates
- students who graduated in December or May in the same academic year of the meeting for which they’re applying
Participants are selected based on academic promise, interest in exploring a career in ecology, potential for serving as a mentor and teacher, and demonstrated commitment to increasing opportunities for underrepresented students.
Preference will be given to students who:
- demonstrate an interest in pursuing a career in ecology
- plan to present at the meeting
- exhibit promise in contributing to the ecology program at their home institution or in their community
- show promise as an educator or mentor
- submit abstracts to present (have a better chance of being selected for the award)
To enhance the students’ meeting experience and to help them gain the most out of this meeting, students will be paired with a meeting mentor – who is an ESA member graduate student or an ecologist – and provided an alumni network .
The meeting experience is enhanced for students by pairing them with a meeting mentor – who is an ESA member graduate student or ecologist – and providing an alumni network to help them gain the most from the meeting experience.
All Awardees are required to:
- arrive one to two days prior to the official start of the meeting for orientation events
- work with SEEDS staff at ESA to make their travel plans
- share a hotel room to make the most of limited funds
APPLICATION – Open on January 1st, 2014.