The BioBlitz is designed to increase the public’s awareness of the variety of life in their immediate neighborhood and the services these various species provide to improve the quality of their lives. We usually hear the word “biodiversity” in regard to rainforests with their vast number of species. Yet the diversity of life in our own backyards is phenomenal. We take for granted clean water, fertile soil, and air to breathe. Yet these are all the result of working ecosystems filled with species that perform these tasks. From our morning shower to our late night snack, we are supported by biodiversity every minute of the day.
The BioBlitz is an excellent tool for exciting children and community members about science. This event generates energy and enthusiasm among scientists and lay people alike. It is rare for biologists from many disciplines to have the opportunity to get together, share their passions with each other and the public, and work toward a single common goal. This event is designed to encourage interaction with the community.
- Promote and inspire sustained environment programs on college campuses and the surrounding community
- Engage people in meaningful citizen science
- Provide a vehicle for informal and formal environmental education
- Acknowledge that biodiversity is not limited to the rainforest, but all around us, even in the most unexpected and mundane locations.
- Formulate a database of rare and localized species.
- Activate political awareness in regards to biodiversity and the implications of being indifferent or ignorant about habitat alteration and environmental degradation
How do I set up a BioBlitz event at my SEEDS Chapter?
For your convenience we have put together a BioBlitz Handbook that will help you through the process: Campus Coordination BioBlitz packet
For more information about our BioBlitz project and your SEEDS Chatper, please email staff at firstname.lastname@example.org!