SEEDS welcomes new schools to join the Chapter network and work toward increasing student awareness and interest in ecology. Ecology and ecology-related (Biology, Environmental Science, Earth Science…) clubs that are already in existence as well as newly formed student groups interested in ecology and the SEEDS mission may apply to become a SEEDS Campus Ecology Chapter.
- Certificate of membership recognizing the chapter’s participation in the SEEDS Campus Ecology Chapter program
- ESA membership for the student representative
- Chapter Grant opportunity to help each Chapter establish itself and/or sustain its presence on campus and beyond.
- SEEDS newsletter and webpage for your chapter on the SEEDS website
- Potential for a visit from a SEEDS staff member to conduct a presentation or workshop on the program or careers in ecology
- Access to the Chapter and ESA member network
- Each chapter must support the mission of SEEDS – to promote ecology opportunities for underrepresented students.
- Each chapter must have at least one faculty advisor or sponsor. The advisor(s) may be a member of the faculty or staff who is selected according to the criteria established by the chapter. Although there are no requirements for an advisor, the advisor should demonstrate a dedication and commitment to the chapter’s students and mission.
- Each chapter must have a student representative to serve as a liaison to the SEEDS program. It is the chapter’s responsibility to designate a representative and provide accurate contact information for this person to the program. It is the representative’s responsibility to maintain communication with the SEEDS program; be available and responsive by email (maintain a reliable email address); disseminate and collect information within the chapter; and, along with the advisor, ensure compliance with the program such as submitting reports on time.
- Each chapter must submit an annual report by May 1. Failure to submit a report by the May 1 deadline may deem the chapter ineligible for chapter benefits. Reports will also be required upon the completion of special project grants.
New Chapter Application
Please also send any relevant Chapter photos or other documents (<2MB) to our email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Application hard copies are not necessary and are discouraged. Any relevant Chapter application materials that cannot be sent electronically may be mailed to: SEEDS Campus Ecology Chapters; Ecological Society of America; 1990 M Street NW, Suite 700 Washington, DC 20036.