SEEDS Partnerships for Undergraduate Research (SPUR) Fellowship
The SPUR Fellowship is the highest honor in the SEEDS program, and fellows are encouraged to be the outstanding leaders in the future of ESA. The award supports the undergraduate student in designing and conducting an ecology research project of interest. SEEDS has established partnerships with field stations and mentors to offer exciting summer opportunities that will be tailored to meet your interests, career objectives and growth as a scientist. For most opportunities, no prior research experiences is necessary.
The coming SPUR Fellowship will run from January 2017 through August 2018. The award includes:
- a paid summer research or internship opportunity with a partner site with housing, travel and research expenses covered
- travel expenses to the 2017 and 2018 SEEDS Leadership Meetings
- travel expenses to the 2018 ESA Annual Meeting in New Orleans, LA
- additional SEEDS $500 award given after the 2018 ESA Annual Meeting completing all requirements for the award and evaluations submitted.
- Undergraduate students seeking a Bachelors degree (graduation date no earlier than Spring 2018) – freshman, sophomores and juniors.
- Associate degree with the intention of receiving a Bachelors degree
- Supports the mission of SEEDS
- Underrepresented minority, low income, first generation college and veteran students are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Able to work in a highly independent manner – (Most often mentors are located in different areas from the fellow’s home institution. SEEDS staff and the rest of the fellowship cohort will also be located at distance.)
- Maintain regular and reliable communication via email, phone, and web meetings
- Must participate in scheduled web meetings with SEEDS staff and the fellowship cohort
- Meet all deadlines
- Maintain a LinkedIn profile and acknowledge the Fellowship on LinkedIn profiles, conference abstracts and proceedings and publications as specified (instructions will be provided)
- Write and publish a blog on your reflections as a SPUR Fellow after your summer experience
- Please see the individual Partnership Research Sites for any further requirements
Please read all of the materials and descriptions before starting your application. Application must be finished once started. Please have all your application materials ready before you start.
Deadline for applications is January 16, 2017.