SEEDS National Field Trips
The SEEDS program hosts one or two National Field Trips a year. National Field Trips bring students from diverse backgrounds and interest to explore the science of ecology. We sponsor students from all over the US to travel to different research stations to engage scientist and professional ecologists.
We will announce the next trip soon!
To be eligible, students must be undergraduates enrolled in college/university within the United States. For field trips preference is given to Freshmen, Sophomores and other students that have not had prior opportunity to engage in ecology research or field experience. Students from underrepresented minority groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Field Trip Agenda
National field trips include:
- Ecology talks
- Hands-on field experience – data collecting
- Career panel discussion with professionals and graduate students
- Student presentations
- Reflections on motivations and challenges students face in science
- Time for group daily journal entries which are then compiled into a single report
Strong applicants demonstrate:
- A sincere interest in exploring a career in ecology but have not had prior opportunity to engage in ecology research
- The potential to contribute to the ecology program at their home institution or in their community and
- The capacity to support the mission of SEEDS.
- Academic promise based on GPA
The SEEDS Program is responsible for field trip expenses including travel, lodging, and meals for selected students. Students who are chosen to participate will work with SEEDS staff to arrange their travel itineraries and dietary needs.
- Applicants Information
- In a short 400 word essay (1) describe the nature of research that you intend to pursue; (2) specify how this Field Trip experience would further your educational and career goals; (3) summarize your ecology experience thus far (SEEDS activities, coursework, research or work experience, etc.); (4) explain how you will contribute to the mission of the SEEDS program during and after the Field Trip.
- Upload a Resume in PDF format
- One (1) letter of recommendation sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org – with students name in the title.
For information on the next SEEDS Field Trip like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or join our listserv on the home page.