ESA has signed an MOU with:
- USDA Forest Service
- Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)
- National Audubon Society-TogetherGreen Conservation Leadership Institute invests in both proven and promising leaders who are committed to empowering others and to creating positive environmental change in their communities and organizations. All Fellows will receive $10,000 to support a conservation project, take part in professional development opportunities, and become part of a talented cadre of leaders working together to achieve lasting conservation results. Application deadline is April 15, 2009.
REU Supplemental Program
- Dave Eissenstat, Penn State University currently has three REU programs available: 1) Forest Ecology, Ecohydrology, and Plant Ecophysiology; 2) Soil Ecology and Biogeochemistry; 3) Forest Ecology and Root Biology. Application deadline for all has been extended to March 20, 2009.
- Research Experience for Undergraduates at Pennsylvania State University in Jason Kaye's Lab. Programs in Soil Nitrogen Cycling and Science Education. Application deadline is April 7, 2009.
- Research Experience for Undergraduates at Kellogg Biological Station in Michigan in the area of Ecological Genetics of Rapid Weed Evolution. Application deadline is April 1, 2009.
- REU Supplemental Announcement
North Carolina Secondary Succession Project
- A National Science Foundation sponsored Research Initiative Grant to Broaden Participation of underrepresented undergraduate students in science to survey secondary successional patterns across the state of North Carolina. In partnership with PI Dr. Ryan Emanuel of North Carolina State University.
- Click to learn more.
Please also visit the ESA Job Board for other Internship Opportunities
March 2009 Deadlines
- Research Experience for Undergraduates at Rutgers University's New Jersey Pinelands. View flyer here. Application deadline is March 20, 2009.
- Research Experience for Undergraduates at the University of Nevada Reno. Application review begins March 20, 2009.
- The Association of Polar Early Career Scientists (APECS) IPY Polar Field School. Application deadline is March 27, 2009.
- Undergraduate Summer Research Experience and Knowledge Award (UREKA). The UREKA award provides funding for students currently completing their first degree to join CoBiD (Collection-Based Biology in Dublin) researchers in a ten-week summer programme with the University College Dublin and the National Museum of Ireland. Application deadline is March 29, 2009.
- National Wildlife Federation Campus Ecology Fellowships - last deadline for 2008-09 academic year is March 31, 2009.
- The Wilderness Society's Gloria Barron Scholarship. This $10,000 scholarship is awarded annually to a graduate student in natural resources management, law or policy programs. Application deadline is March 31, 2009.
- NOAA Dr. Nancy Foster Scholarship Program. Graduate-level scholarship. Application deadline is March 31, 2009.
- The Northeast Consortium for Hydrologic Synthesis is now accepting applications for their Summer Institute Fellowship. Application deadline is March 31, 2009.
- Research Experience for Undergraduates at West Virginia University in "Biological Responses to the Environment from Genes to the Ecosystem". Application deadline is March 31, 2009.
April 2009 Deadlines
- ESA's Student Section is proud to announce the first ESA Student Eco-Arts Exhibition, the umbrella of three student art festivals (eco-photo, eco-poetry, and eco-film festivals) of the Ecological Society of America. This exhibition is designed to honor outstanding student contributions to ecological science through photography, poetry, and film that describes various aspects of ecology. The exhibition contest will culminate with a two-hour event at the 2009 ESA annual meeting in Albuquerque, NM. Submission deadline is April 1, 2009.
- Research Experience for Undergraduates with Alan Wilson at Auburn University. View announcement here. Application deadline is April 2, 2009.
- Highlands Biological Station in North Carolina: Paid summer internships available. Application deadline is April 4, 2009.
- Bullitt Environmental Fellowship. This is a two-year, $50,000/year fellowship for graduate students interested in pursuing leadership positions within the environmental field. The fellowship is offered to graduate students in universities within the Foundation’s areas of focus Washington, Oregon, Idaho, western Montana, southern Alaska, and British Columbia. Application deadline is April 6, 2009.
- Research Experience for Undergraduates at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore focused on marine and estuarine science. Application deadline is April 7, 2009.
- Research Experience for Undergraduates at Loyola University in New Orleans focused on ecosystem ecology. Application deadline is April 10, 2009.
May 2009 Deadlines
- ESA Student Section Travel Grants to the 2009 ESA Annual Meeting in Albuquerque, NM. Application deadline is May 2, 2009.
- ESA Student Section's Best Undergraduate Presentation Awards 2009. Application deadline is May 2, 2009.
- ESA Student Section is now accepting nominations for the following positions: Vice Chair and Secretary. Nomination deadline is May 2, 2009. Click here to read the full announcement for both positions and how to apply.
- Earth Island Institute's New Leaders Initiative is now accepting applications for the 2009 Youth Brower Awards. Application deadline is May 15, 2009.
- ESA Student Section's Second Annual Outstanding Student Research in Ecology Awards (awards are given for both undergraduate and graduate research). Application deadline is May 31, 2009.
June 2009 Deadlines
July 2009 Deadlines
- Society for Marine Mammology's 18th Biennial Conference (Oct 12-16 in Québec City, Québec). Travel grants for students are available. Application deadline is July 22, 2009.
- Organization for Tropical Studies. OTS Courses for undergraduate and graduate students listed here.
- Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU): Opportunities available at a variety of locations. Application deadlines vary by site.
- Integrative Graduate Education and Research Traineeship (IGERT): Opportunities at various institutions for PhD programs. Application deadline varies by institution.
- Dartmouth College’s IGERT Program in Polar Environmental Change. Application deadline varies by department.
- University of Kansas’ IGERT Program in Climate Change. Visit website for more information.
- Research Experience for Undergraduates at the University of Notre Dame. Application deadlines vary depending on project - see website above. Ten programs are available in the Global Linkages of Biology, the Environment, and Society (GLOBES) program at UND.
- On Ramps into Academia: a workshop for women with PhD's interested in a future career in academia. Sponsored by the University of Washington and NSF. The workshop will take place from Oct 19-20, 2009.
- SEEDS Partnerships with REU Supplemental Awards.
- Please see the ESA Job Board for current faculty opportunity listings: Job Openings and Grants and Fellowships.
- Volume 6 of TIEE (Teaching Issues and Experiments in Ecology) has been published online!
- North American Association for Environmental Education's (NAAEE) Higher Education EE Faculty Fellowship Program. Click to read the full announcement and for the application. Application deadline is March 25, 2009.