The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) in partnership with the Student Section of the Ecological Society of America (ESA-SS) will honor young scientists for their contributions to the discipline of ecology that have extended beyond the realm of academia and into the broader communities of which they are a part.
A panel that includes the boards of both the ESA-SS and UCS will evaluate each applicants’ contributions to outreach, ecoservice and environmental justice. The goal of this award is to engage young ecologists in research that reaches beyond inquiry and into application, outreach, and education. The theme of the 95th annual ESA meeting is "Global Warming: the legacy of our past, the challenge of our future", and as such, applications that show a strong background in this regard will be highly valued. For more information on what ecoservice is, please see Salguero-Gomez and colleagues' article in Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment.
The award will consist of a cash prize of $300 and a commemorative plaque. The award will be given during the ESA Student Section award ceremony at the 95th annual conference of the Ecological Society of America, in Pittsburgh, PA, from August 1st through the 6th, 2010.
The application package consists of the following 4 parts:
- Application form (available for download here)
- Current CV
- Letter of recommendation
- Unofficial transcript
Requirements for participation:
- Applicant must be a member of the ESA-SS and it is strongly recommended that they become members of UCS (if unsure, you may confirm your status with ESA-SS by contacting membership officer, Matthew Whiteside - mwhitesi(at)uci.edu or member(at)ucsusa.org for UCS).
- Applicant must be in good academic standing.
- Applicant must commit to attend the ESA 95th annual conference and the ESA-SS award ceremony, where awards will be announced. Travel funds of up to $300 to attend the conference are available based on need.
- Applicant must be enrolled as a student (high school through post-graduate).
- Applications from students typically underrepresented in the sciences are especially encouraged to apply.
All materials must be submitted to Rob Salguero-Gomez (salguero(at)sas.upenn.edu) by 5pm EST of May 31st, 2010. The applicant must submit the application package in a single email with the subject “UCS – ESA-SS Ecoservice Award”. However, the recommendation may be submitted directly by the advisor in an email with the subject “UCS – ESA-SS Ecoservice Award – RECOMMENDER’S LAST NAME”.
Failure to comply with the rules will result in the automatic disqualification of the applicant. UCS and ESA-SS are equal opportunity organizations.