Section definition of Traditional Ecological Knowledge (TEK): Adaptive ecological knowledge developed through an intimate reciprocal relationship between a group of people and a particular place over time.
The mission of the ESA TEK section:
- to promote the understanding, dissemination and respectful use of traditional ecological knowledge in ecological research, application and education;
- to encourage education in traditional ecological knowledge;
- to stimulate research which incorporates the traditional knowledge and participation of indigenous people;
- to increase participation by indigenous people in the Ecological Society of America;
- to foster understanding of indigenous and local knowledge in relationship to place; and
- to facilitate communication among people with diverse ways of knowing, both within ESA and between ESA and other communities.