The Invasion Ecology section promotes research, teaching, communication, and collaboration on the ecology of biological invasions.
In the last thirty years, research on biological invasions has become a central theme in ecology. Biological invasions impact everything from ecosystems to commercial enterprise and human health. As such, the Invasion Ecology section acts as an important conduit between professionals from a variety of backgrounds and fosters the communication of emerging theory and case studies from all taxa. We promote invasion themed symposia and organized oral sessions, as well as host an annual mixer to provide an informal atmosphere for people to meet and build collaboration.
Follow us on Twitter @ESAinvasionecol
2019 Simberloff Award for Outstanding Presentation Application Period Open
The Invasion Ecology Section is excited to continue its support for excellence in student research. This award is sponsored by our section, Biological Invasions, and Springer International Publishing to recognize the contributions of Editor-in-Chief Daniel Simberloff to the study of nonnative species. The award will be given to two students at ESA’s annual meeting who embody Simberloff’s creativity, intelligence, and passion for studying and understanding the biology of nonnative organisms.
The winner of each award will receive a $250 cash award and will be announced in Biological Invasions. Entrants are judged on the rigor, creativity, importance, and quality of presentation of the research, and may apply
- The student entrant must be first author and presenter for the paper or poster.
- “Student” is defined as undergraduate or graduate student who is currently enrolled in a degree program or who finished his/her degree within the last 12 months.
- The student must be an Invasion Ecology section member at the time of the presentation. Not a member of the Invasion Ecology section? No problem — it’s easy to join. Just go to the ESA membership site for more information.
- Past winners may not enter the same competition again. Students who received an honorable mention can compete again in the same competition.
To enter the competitions:
Please send Lauren Smith-Ramesh (firstname.lastname@example.org) the following information by June 1, 2019:
- Your name, current mailing address, email address, phone number, College/University association, and student status.
- Presentation title and complete list of authors.
- Presentation date and time