For all of our upcoming SEEDS events, we are closely monitoring updates from the local and national public health authorities regarding the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and we will reevaluate as needed.
For changes to upcoming ESA events, please visit this page for updates. ESA and SEEDS are fully committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for all event participants.
These events/ activities have been cancelled or postponed
- The 2020 Fall SEEDS Leadership Meeting will be POSTPONED to 2021.
- The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Socio-Environmental Synthesis Research Workshop with SESYNC has been POSTPONED.
- The Henry L. Gholz National Field Trip to the Sevilleta Field Station in New Mexico has been CANCELLED.
- Critical Skills to Scale Up Ecology: An ESA-SEEDS and NEON Workshop has been POSTPONED.
- Due to the recent acts of violence towards the black community, ESA has published a Letter to the Community.
- ESA SEEDS program receives $1.3 million from National Science Foundation
- Check out the Student Opportunities for more programs for undergraduates and graduate students with interests in Ecology!
The Strategies for Ecology Education, Diversity and Sustainability program is the flagship award-winning education program of the Ecological Society of America. Its mission is to diversify and advance the ecology profession through opportunities that stimulate and nurture the interest of underrepresented students to participate, and to lead in ecology. The core SEEDS program components offer hands-on, engaging experiences with ecology that exhibit the relevance and applications of the science. Each experience also provides opportunities to interact with a diverse group of ecologists and other motivated students to both broaden and deepen students’ understanding of ecology and potential careers. Focused mainly at the undergraduate level, with extension services for communities, high schools, graduate students, and international collaborations, the SEEDS program promotes an ecology profession with wide representation to ensure environmental understanding and a sustainable future for all.
Explore and learn about our programs components:
Did You Know?
- SEEDS is the proud recipient of the 2006 Presidential Awards for Excellence in Science, Mathematics and Engineering Mentoring (PAESMEM) – established by the White House in 1995.
- SEEDS was recognized with the 2008 American Institute for Biological Science (AIBS) Diversity Leadership Award.
SEEDS depends on external support for all its programs. Your contribution is critical to the core mission of SEEDS to nurture a strong interest in ecological careers among the diverse students we serve. Please consider a generous donation to the SEEDS program so we can continue to serve underrepresented students in ecology. All contributions go towards SEEDS program activities and are deductible to the extent allowed by the law. Thank you for your generosity.