SEEDS Undergraduate Student Travel Awards:
To support and promote the participation of underrepresented students in the field of ecology, SEEDS offers Undergraduate Student Travel Awards to participate in the ESA Annual Meeting every year.
The 104th ESA Annual Meeting – Bridging Communities and Ecosystems: Inclusion as an Ecological Imperative will be held at the Louisville Convention Center in Louisville, Kentucky from August 11-16, 2019.
What does the Travel Award include?
SEEDS is proud to offer fully funded and mentored experiences for undergraduates during the ESA Annual Meeting. Each selected participant receives:
- Full Meeting Registration
- ESA student membership (Note: ESA membership is based on calendar year, which runs from January 1 to December 31.)
- A mentor – students select an ESA member as a mentor for the week!
- SEEDS Alumni Mentor groups – past SEEDS students with graduate degrees that help undergraduates navigate the meeting.
- Round-trip airfare from a major US airport.
- Hotel accommodations during the meeting. *Double occupancy*
- A $125 meal stipend
- SEEDS Student Orientation
- SEEDS Welcome Dinner
- and tickets for special events
Who is eligible to apply?
- Undergraduate students from underrepresented minority groups – as well as other students – with a demonstrated commitment to the program’s mission
- Undergraduate students enrolled in an institution within the United Sates
- students who graduated in December or May in the same academic year of the meeting for which they’re applying
Participants are selected based on academic promise, interest in exploring a career in ecology, potential for serving as a mentor and teacher, and demonstrated commitment to increasing opportunities for underrepresented students.
Preference will be given to students who:
- Submit abstracts to present at the meeting (poster, oral or special presentations). To submit your research abstract visit www.esa.org/louisville for more information. That is a separate process from the SEEDS Travel Awards.
- Demonstrate an interest in pursuing a career in ecology
- Exhibit promise in contributing to the ecology program at their home institution or in their community
- Show promise as a science educator or future mentor
The meeting experience is enhanced for students by pairing them with a meeting mentor – who is an ESA member as a graduate student or career ecologist – and providing an alumni network to help them gain the most from the meeting experience.
- Contact Information
- Academic Information
- Meeting Information – poster or oral presentation code number from ESA. This is a separate process before you apply for SEEDS, vsit www.esa.org/louisville for more information and deadlines.
- One Letter of Recommendation
- Resume (PDF preferred – add STUDENT NAME to the document title)
- An Essay (500 word max.) stating your interest in a career in ecology, your goals as a student, your passion for science and your commitment to the SEEDS program mission.
Applications deadline is March 25, 2019.