W.K. Kellogg Biological Station, Michigan State University
Title: REU Ecological and Evolutionary Dynamics in a Changing World
Description: The Kellogg Biological Station (KBS) provides outstanding opportunities for students interested in ecology, evolutionary biology, agricultural ecology and animal science. KBS faculty, post-docs, and graduate students are passionate about involving undergraduates in their research and KBS provides access to excellent research facilities, field sites, and an environment conducive to research. KBS REU positions give undergraduate students the opportunity to conduct full-time research under the guidance of an experienced mentor.
REUs will work with their mentor to create and maintain a fully annotated dataset, collaborate to write a research proposal, present a professional research poster at the KBS Summer Undergraduate Symposium, and write a blog post about their research experience.
What are the benefits of an REU at KBS?
- Join a dynamic group of students and faculty for an authentic field research experience
- Learn the process of research: reading the literature, formulating questions and hypotheses, designing a study, collecting and analyzing data, and presenting the results as a professional research poster
- Explore if a career in research is a good choice for you
- Build references for your application to graduate school or other programs
- Participate in professional development seminars tailored to help undergraduate students be successful in STEM disciplines
Location: Hickory Corner, MI
Start and End dates: 5/19/2020 – 8/3/2020
Fellowship positions available: 1
Are the dates flexible? No
Eligibility and Requirements: None
Summer Stipend: $575.00/week for 11 weeks = $6,325.00
Other services provided: Housing is provided, airfare/ mileage is provided, ground transportation on site is provided if needed, research materials or equipment are provided, there are other weekly educational opportunities on-site for students e.g. seminars, we have career development / awareness activities in place