Studies show that Mentors play a critical role in career success. EcologyPlus provides guidance, support and a professional community for both mentors and mentees. We warmly welcome your participation.
Why Mentor in EcologyPlus?
- Share your passion for ecology and related environmental fields with the next generation of scientists and environmental professionals
- Join a network of your peers to share experiences in mentoring and discover the wide range of careers in environmental fields
- Attract diverse talented students and recent graduates for your programs, internship or employment opportunities
- Enhance your mentoring skills and professional development
Whom will you mentor?
- Mentees include undergraduates, graduate students and recent graduates (within 3 years of highest degree) from underrepresented minority communities and/or who contribute significantly to the mission of EcologyPlus
- Mentees may come from a wide range of disciplinary interests and have an interest in ecology and related environmental careers
- Mentees are located in the Greater DC metropolitan area at the present time (while we are still at the pilot phase)
Who Should Register
Scientists, educators and professionals in ecology and related environmental fields across all sectors are welcome to apply. We are especially seeking professionals in agencies, nonprofits and business to register. Mentors should be able to commit for at least one year. To be accepted as a mentor, you must be in the workforce. We are not accepting graduate students as mentors for the project.
How Does Mentoring Work?
Role of Mentors. Mentors are asked to:
- Interact at least monthly with your mentee via an online mentoring platform for at least one year. At critical points, you may be asked to engage more often with your mentee, e.g. when applications for various opportunities are due.
- Local mentors are encouraged to meet at least once with their mentees.
- Review your mentee’s Career Self-Assessment and Career Development Plan to clarify goals and advise on targeted resources and opportunities to support the plan.
- Write letters of recommendation for your mentee as appropriate.
- Review your mentee’s resumé and cover letters
How Will You Be Selected
EcologyPlus provides an online mentoring platform, powered by Qooper. When you register, you will be providing information about yourself related to your professional interests, expertise and experience. Participants will be invited to choose a mentor based on the information you provided.
Participants will be able to select up to two mentors:
- a mentor within 50 miles of Washington DC and
- a mentor from a national network.
How Will Mentors Be Supported After You Have Been Selected
Congratulations! Being selected to accompany mentees in their career journey is a special relationship. If you are a first-time mentor, you might be wondering how to be an effective mentor to diverse mentees. The EcologyPlus mentoring program will provide guidance to mentors support mentees in their career development. For a successful and productive mentoring relationship, EcologyPlus will provide support in the following ways:
- A mentor orientation webinar
- Monthly tips and guides on how to engage with your mentee to accomplish career milestones
- Periodic webmeetings or networking events throughout the year specially for mentors
- Access to additional mentoring resources available on the mentoring platform
- Access to an online community of mentors
Other Ways To Engage In EcologyPlus
We recognize all our mentors as a pool of professionals and experts and anticipate that the community may turn to for mentoring and employment tips and ideas.
You may be invited to:
- Speak in webevents or in-person workshops on relevant career topics
- Facilitate optional affinity group sessions for students and recent graduates with specific interests.
- Contribute suggestions and ideas about mentoring with other mentors
- Share internship, jobs or other professional development opportunities with EcologyPlus.