The Ecological Society of AmericaESA is committed to protecting the privacy of our users. We strive to provide a safe, secure user experience.
- Collected personal data
- With whom personal data will be shared
- Retention of your personal data
- What safeguards are in place to protect your personal data
- The transfer of your personal data outside ESA
- Your rights with regards to your personal data
- Where to address your questions or complaints
Definitions“Personal data” refers to any information about a person that can be used to identify that person. Examples include name, email address, postal address, location data, and browsing behaviors. This may also include (optional) social, economic, ethnicity and demographic information. Examples of personally identifiable information can typically be found on pages where you can sign up to use a service, post professional or educational information, subscribe to publications, take a course, or purchase a product. The United States Federal Government, as defined by the Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited Pornography and Marketing Act of 2003” (CAN-SPAM), identifies three types of e-mails, only one of which is subject to the restrictive provisions of the Act (those identified as “commercial messages”). Relationship or transactional messages are excluded from the Act. The vast majority of communication between the Society and its contacts is considered to be transactional in nature. Despite this fact, ESA filters messages in-house and only sends notices to contacts that we deem to be significantly important. In addition, ESA works to comply with the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the National Do Not Call Registry, CAN-SPAM, and all other federal guidelines.
Information we collect
Contact InformationSome ESA websites may request that you provide personal information, including your name, address, e-mail address, and telephone number. Purchaser Information For donations, member dues and other monetary transactions, we will request that you provide your credit card number, contact information, and billing information. Electronic financial transactions are saved for ESA’s internal tax and financial purposes. Demographic Information Demographic information such as your age, career focus and discipline, preferences, gender, educational degrees, student status, certification levels, ethnic background, interests, and household income range may be collected. Sometimes, we collect or may collect a combination of information types. An example of an ESA website which may collect personal or combined personal and demographic data is a webpage which requires the user to be logged into an authorized account . Technical Information We also gather or may gather certain information about your use of our site, such as what areas you visit and what services you access. Moreover, there is information about your computer hardware and software that we collect or may collect. This information can include, without limitation, your IP address, browser type, domain names, access times, and referring website addresses. Some of this information is collected using cookies. List of digital partners:
- Microsoft Office 365
- Google Analytics Suite,
- Constant Contact email handling,
- iMis member services,
- Survey Monkey,
- Confex annual meeting systems,
- Bluehost hosting and domain registrar,
- Amazon Web Services for public cloud services,
- John Wiley & Sons Inc,
- Sucuri firewall and intrusion prevention and disaster recovery,
- Elavon and PayPal for transaction processing.
Retention of Personal InformationWe retain indefinitely all the personal information we gather about visitors or subscribers as necessary to fulfill our contract with you. We retain indefinitely certain anonymized information we gather about visitors or subscribers for the legitimate purpose of performing website analytics and providing use of our website to all visitors in an efficient, practical, and relevant way. If there is no legal basis or other requirement for keeping your data AND after there has been no activity from you for forty-eight (48) months, your data that is no longer required will be purged. Sharing of Personal Data We do not share or disclose your personal information to third parties except as set forth below:
|Personal Information||Purpose of Sharing|
|Technical information||With ESA business partners for the legitimate purpose of understanding usage patterns for ESA and the ESA online library websites and those of our partners.|
|Technical information||With web hosting and other technical service providers for the legitimate purpose of hosting our web servers and ensuring information security for our networks.|
|Contact information||With consultants and vendors for the legitimate purpose of providing customer support and marketing assistance.|
|Credit card information||With credit card processors for purposes of processing credit card transactions regarding the subscriber’s contract with ESA websites.|
|Contact information||With our business partners, with your consent, for the purposes of providing you with products or services tailored to your interests and preferences.|
- In addition, we disclose personal information if legally required to do so, if requested to do so by a governmental entity, or if we believe in good faith that such action is necessary to: (a) conform to legal requirements or comply with legal process; (b) protect the rights or property of ESA; (c) prevent a crime or protect national security; or (d) protect the personal safety of users or the public.
- In the event any one or all of ESA websites become the subject of a bankruptcy proceeding, whether voluntary or involuntary, ESA or its trustee in bankruptcy may sell, license, or otherwise dispose of such information in a transaction approved by the bankruptcy court as is legally required.
- In the event ESA is acquired in whole or part by a third party by way of merger or consolidation, we will disclose and transfer such information to the third party.
- ESA may also share aggregated anonymous information about visitors to ESA and Publication websites with its clients, partners, and other third parties so that they may understand the kinds of visitors to ESA and John Wiley & Sons, Inc websites and how those visitors use the site.
- Where permitted by law, users of free online services provided by ESA, such as free partial access to content from the ESA family of journals, access to Policy News from ESA, or e-mail alerting services/newsletters or career opportunities, education services, donation appeals and member communications, or who seek other free online services provided by ESA are agreeing that ESA may contact them by e-mail in exchange for these free services. Users who fall under the CASL and GDPR regulations who use free online services may opt into e-mails from ESA.
- Where permitted by law, users who do not wish to receive e-mail alerting services or newsletters may cancel such services by following the unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of any e-mail message from ESA.
- Users who do not wish to receive e-mail may follow the unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of any e-mail message from ESA.
- Users may also change their communication options by sending an email to email@example.com.
- The above are examples of opt-in / manage options and are not intended to describe every option on ESA websites.
Career Opportunities, Professional Certification and Educational CommunicationsOn EcologyPlus and ESA Certification and Member websites, we give you the option of putting your resume or CV (collectively referred to as “user data”) in our database. There are two ways of doing this: You can post your user data in our database as either a public or private user data. Public user data can be searched by parties with access to our searchable resume database. We do not attempt to limit access to our searchable resume database (or copies thereof). We cannot guarantee that other parties will not gain access to this database. We are not responsible for the use made of resumes by third parties who access such user data while they are in our searchable database. You may remove your user data from our searchable database at any time. However, employers, recruiters, and others who have paid for access to that database or to obtain a copy of that database, as well as parties who have otherwise gained access to the database may have retained a copy of your user data in their own files or databases. We are not responsible for the retention, use, or privacy of user data in these instances. Please note: It is not our practice to restrict access to our resume database to any particular customer(s). Please be advised that your current employer or an entity affiliated with your current employer might be a customer of the EcologyPlus, ESA Certification or Member sites. We are not responsible for any actions or results that may occur as a result of any customer’s access to and/or use of your user data. We reserve the right to remove from our database any user data we consider to be illegal or offensive. Additional Terms and Rules for Social Networking Social networking services provided on ESA websites (e.g., the ESA blog) may have additional terms of conduct, privacy policies, and privacy settings that you will be required to agree to and set when you register for such services.
Updating Your InformationIt is important to us that we have your correct contact information so that you don’t miss out on further correspondence or experience problems with the delivery of publications and products. Members and customers of ESA can change their personal information or update their account information at any time by visiting the members-only website, https://eservices.esa.org. Other registrants or users may also update their personal information at any time by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org Where to address your questions or complaints If you have any concerns as to how your data is processed, you can contact:
The Ecological Society of America 1990 M Street NW Suite 700 Washington DC USA 20036
Acceptance of These TermsYour use of ESA websites shall indicate your understanding and acceptance of the terms of this Privacy Statement. If you do not agree with all the terms herein, you should not use ESA websites or services.
If you have any comments or questions regarding this policy, please direct them to Catherine O’Riordan, ESA Executive Director, email@example.com