Request A Social Event
2019 ESA & USSEE Joint Meeting
August 11 – 16, 2019
5:00 PM Eastern (2:00 PM Pacific)
Thursday, March 14, 2019
Requests that are incomplete or received after the deadline will not be considered.
All ESA Annual Meeting submission deadlines are 5:00 PM Eastern so that technical support and ESA staff assistance will be immediately available when submitters need it. If you begin your submission very close to the deadline, you are choosing to take a risk and we will not make an exception if you don’t complete your submission in time. The form automatically closes at 5:00 EST (2:00 PST) whether you have completed your submission or not.
ESA meetings, open to ESA members and those interested in ecology, are among the most respected meetings of ecologists in the science community. ESA is committed to providing a safe, productive and welcoming environment for all meeting participants and ESA staff. All participants including, but not limited to, attendees, speakers, volunteers, exhibitors, ESA staff, service providers and others are expected to abide by the ESA Meetings Code of Conduct. This Code of Conduct applies to all ESA meeting-related events including those sponsored by organizations other than ESA but held in conjunction with ESA events, in public or private facilities. In addition, ESA members and authors of ESA publications must adhere to the ESA Scientific Integrity and Professional Ethics Policy.
How To Submit
You must submit your proposal using the online submission form. Requests sent by email will not be considered. Click the link below to begin by selecting which type of proposal you would like to submit. You will be able to return to the proposal to edit it until the submission deadline has passed. Information on how to do so will be included in two automated emails you will receive, first when you begin and then when you complete your submission.
About Social Events
Networking is one of the most important benefits of conference attendance. Whether it’s a small business meeting or a large evening mixer with food, beverages, and A/V, a little advance planning goes a long way. To help us provide the appropriate room setup and meet your logistical needs, anyone planning a social event (mixer, reception, business meeting) as part of the 2019 ESA Annual Meeting program is required to submit an event request in advance. Social events can be requested for morning (7:00-8:00 AM), midday (11:30 AM – 1:15 PM), or evening (6:30-8:00 PM) timeslots. If you are requesting multiple social events, you should submit a separate request for each event. If you are holding an event offsite and would like us to include it in the meeting program, please submit an event request and provide the offsite location (including its address) in the Event Description. Feel free to contact us if you have questions about planning your event. We can help you figure out what you need to request and if you are in charge of an event that ESA has hosted before, we can give you some idea of how many attendees you might expect based on past years.
Event Request Format
The information listed below must be submitted through the online submission form. It is provided here to assist you in planning your submission. The form may differ slightly from the version listed here. Event Requests that are incomplete or received by email will not be considered. You may begin a submission and then return to edit it up until the deadline.
Components of an event request
For all events, you will need to provide the following information:
- Event title
- Event description (optional). This will appear in the online program only.
- Organizer (name, institution, email, phone number)
- Name of group organizing the event
- Requested session day and time:
- Monday morning (7:00 – 8:00 AM)
- Monday midday (11:30 AM – 1:15 PM)
- Monday evening (6:30 – 8:00 PM)
- Tuesday morning (7:00 – 8:00 AM)
- Tuesday midday (11:30 AM – 1:15 PM)
- Tuesday evening (6:30 – 8:00 PM)
- Wednesday morning (7:00 – 8:00 AM)
- Wednesday evening (6:30 – 8:00 PM)
- Thursday morning (7:00 – 8:00 AM)
- Thursday midday (11:30 AM – 1:15 PM)
- Friday morning (7:00 – 8:00 AM)
- Are there any other sessions proposed for the meeting that this session should NOT conflict with?
- Is there a session (formal scientific session, business meeting, mixer) that this session is intended to immediately precede or follow?
For on site events (in the convention center or hotel), you will also need to provide the following information:
- Anticipated number of attendees (an estimate is fine for now)
- Will you need the standard A/V setup (screen, LCD projector, and laptop with sound)? Yes/No
- Will you need additional equipment? Options: none, podium w/mic, LCD/screen, wireless mic, laptop, conference call phone, flip chart. Additional equipment may incur fees.
- Room set-up: reception flow, theater, theater with a panel table, round tables, conference, classroom, hollow square.
- Beverage request: none, coffee, soda, bottled water, iced tea, lemonade, cash bar, open bar, drink tickets (indicate number of tickets).
- Food request: none, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, reception
- Provide the estimated budget amount you will have to spend on your event.
- If requesting an event for an ESA Section, Chapter or Standing Committee: Are you interested in an exhibit booth?
Everyone who has submitted an event request will be notified of their event’s status in April. All of the logistical concerns for the event (room assignment, any requested equipment, menu options for food orders) will be handled through follow-up over email.
ESA may not be able to accept all event requests. Confirmation of an event request does not obligate ESA beyond providing a meeting space and including the event in the program.
If you are requesting an event for an ESA Section, Chapter, or Standing Committee and have requested food, beverages, or A/V equipment, the costs for these will be deducted from your operating budget.
For any other groups requesting food, beverages or A/V equipment, ESA will invoice you at the conclusion of the Annual Meeting and payment will be required within 30 days.
If you have questions during the planning process, please contact Christi Nam.
Once an event request has been confirmed, cancellation imposes a serious logistical burden. Please do not submit an event request “just in case.” If for some reason you must cancel your event, it must be cancelled in writing (email is sufficient) by June 27, 2019. Cancellations after this date may incur a cancellation fee, especially if food and beverages have been ordered.
|March 14, 2019||Deadline for submitting a social event request to ESA.|
|April 2019||Organizers notified of event status.|
|Late April 2019||ESA will follow up about any requested logistics (food, beverages, equipment, room setup, scheduling).|
|June 27, 2019||Final event attendance due to ESA|
Associate Director, Conventions and Meetings
Ecological Society of America
1990 M Street, NW, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20036 USA
Phone: (202) 833-8773 x 213
Fax: (202) 833-8775